Sunday, March 28, 2010

The ugly cry

The other day we let a patient die. He had been dependent on the ventilator for a couple months, and no matter what we tried, he still needed tons of extra oxygen and pressure (peep) to keep up his oxygen sats. He was always anxious and frequently requested anxiety medication. He had a trach but couldn't talk, didn't have the ability to write, and was literally trapped in his body. He was miserable, his family was torn apart, and his girlfriend was by his side all of the time with a look of heartbreak in her eyes.

He kept pulling out tubes, and over time it became clear that he did not want artificial nutrition or invasive lines. All the medical disciplines came to see him and he made it known that he wanted to be removed from the ventilator and for us to let him go. He had been fighting this for over two months, and it was clear that he would never leave his room. His family understood and accepted this, and his girlfriend was more hesitant, but ultimately, she accepted his decision, and a date was decided upon. I was charge nurse that day, and I was assisting in the comfort care process with a new-ish nurse. It is a trick to balance sedation and comfort with dying patients. You want to give them enough to sedate and comfort them, but you can't suppress breathing and actually be the death mechanism itself. (tricky). He had about eight family members and friends in the room when we started. He was given a bolus of versed and fentanyl and when he was comfortable, we disconnected him from the ventilator. We covered his trach site with some humidified oxygen, and watched him for signs of discomfort or fear. His family gathered around him, anxiously watching his face, waiting for the moment he would escape from his body. We gave him some extra sedation a couple times, but really it was a lovely passing. For his final and greatest journey, he was able to know when his time had come, all of his closest people were showering him unconditional love and support, and he was comfortable the entire time. What a blessing.

His oxygen sats slowly lowered over the next hour, his cardiac rhythm widened, and shortly after, he was in PEA. Soon had no cardiac activity. His family was told that he had passed, and it was an emotional time for them all. I was in and out of the room through the day, helping out and answering questions when I could. It was also taco day for the nurses, and I spent some time in the back getting the fiesta together while I oversaw the unit. Later, his nurse went for lunch and I stayed in the patent's room to act as family support and explain the process of what happens to his body after they leave. I stood close to his girlfriend on the side of the bed who was still holding his hand. Her eyes were red rimmed and moist, but she was calm. They had been high school sweethearts who reconnected fifteen years ago. They never married, but lived together and loved each other as life partners. She was the one who would go home to an empty house, clean out his belongings, and figure out how to carry on. His daughter began to gather up her family and say goodbyes to friends who came to be with them. I stood by the girlfriend and took in this scene of goodbye. I got weepy as they all took turns kissing the patient and waving in parting to his ladyfriend. She still sat by him holding his hand as they drifted out, the daughter was the last to leave, signaling to the partner that she would call her, her hand as the telephone to her ear, and she walked out the door into the hall. This moment was profound. This ritual of death, mourning, and goodbye. I was so there; I was both observer and participant. I found myself in the partners chair, holding his hand watching all of the others leave, and being left dreadfully alone. A flood of emotion welled up with me. My little tears turned to rivers, I began to literally heave and sob. This moment, that had been replayed over generations, centuries, since the beginning of humanity, was unfolding before my very eyes. I was hit with the full force of these very human emotions and experiences, and in that instant, I rolled in this emotional tsunami.

What a blessing.

I looked out the window and tried to pull myself together. I grabbed some tissue and dried my eyes, squeezed the girlfriend's other hand meaningfully, and walked out of the room, trying to keep these emotions in check. Then with red rimmed eyes, I went to the break room and ate a taco. My coworkers asked me if I was OK. I nodded and sat down. We all ate in silence for a while. The moment passed, I ate my tacos (delicious), dealt with the unit, wrapped up his body, and had the room cleaned. The day was done, I went home and had a beer or three. I kissed my family, read the kids books before bed, snuggled with my husband, and felt incredibly grateful. I slept without dreams.

I told my friend Jaime about this emotional experience I had, and my uncontrollable visceral reaction. She matter of factly said "Ahhh, that was the ugly cry". The spontaneous, overwhelming emotional response that possesses both body and mind. A labor pain of sentiment that strips away all personal discretion and composure, revealing the raw, pure soul within you. I was able to explain how real that moment was for me; how it symbolized humanity, mortality, unhindered love and loyalty, the true complexity and beauty of relationships. I tied it together with one encompassing word: Lovely.

It was amazing to witness such a power, such a time of incomprehensible sadness, mixed with love and hope, and to see this dance of human relationships. I was truly present for that striking moment, and it will stay with me forever.

What a blessing.

9 comments:

  1. Wow Lisa, that gave me goosebumps...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, Lisa.
    Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not quite sure how I got here to your blog, but wanted to stop and tell you I read this post with some real interest. My husband is an RN and spent a long time with Hospice...I'm from the PNW/Seattle area myself and really appreciated what you had to say about being there for someone's last day. It gave me some insight into what it is nurses do.

    Thanks! PS. If you ever need some light reading, stop by our blog at waltzinacrosstexas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came to your blog through COS. What a great post, I also feel blessed as an RN to be present for people's most profound and real moments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For those who can handle it, to be present in a moment like this is one of the most profound experiences we can have. Such a powerful moment to be a part of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Thank you for sharing and for doing what you do. I'm in the OR because, honestly, if I was in the ICU, I think that "ugly cry" would happen for me on a daily basis. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had that happen to me. One day after a patient passed away, I sobbed the whole way home, out of no where. It is truly a blessing to be a part of such moments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. For being willing to be there, truly there, in the moment for them. It will ripple outwards for good farther than you can ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are an amazing nurse. I stumbled upon your blog when I wanted to see what the icu would be like. Currently working in a trauma hospital in San Francisco on medsurge floors. So good to read about your experiences. Hope you write more, although I see the blog stopped at 2010.

    ReplyDelete