Monday, December 21, 2009

Sunday Paper

I have never asked if other nurses are addicted to the obituaries like I am. Every day I go to the local news section and peruse the death notices. I look for people who I have taken care of, and usually find one or two a week. I like to spot them and read about their lives, and think about them before I knew them or their families. I like to hear about their careers, loved ones, and accomplishments. I like to see smiling faces, and think about the lives they have touched.

Most of my patients don't get obituary mentions. Some come from out of city or state, but mostly I think it is because obituaries are EXPENSIVE. It cost about $600 for a Sunday listing with a picture. I know this from personal experience, and it upsets me that people can't share the life of their loved one because of financial reasons. The obituary and burial/cremation expenses can run in the thousands or ten thousands if you can swing it. Death sucks enough without adding up a numeric value to the life of someone you can't imagine living without. So, it short, I do not fault my families for not sharing more details with me in the print notice - I just appreciate it when I can.

If I do not see any of my people, I still read about dear Aunt Mabel, and 23 year old Brandon. I take in the stories and sadness and bring it all close to my heart. As common as death is for me, I still am at times overwhelmed by it. The last memories put to paper are a poignant part of the grieving process, and allow me to connect with people in a way that I have to restrain at work. While I am always comforting and understanding when I am with a patient and family when death is near, I always hold myself apart, still ready to react and intervene if crisis arrives.

Drinking my coffee, laying in bed, and locking the kids out of my room; the Sunday paper lets me relax with death, and more importantly, appreciate the wonderful living people have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment