Thursday, April 9, 2009

A job I love, but don't get to talk about

I had no idea what I was getting into when I became a nurse. They don't tell you in school what it is really like, they save that surprise until after you graduate (and owe $40,000).
The brutal reality of nursing intertwines with the sweet reward of knowing that this day was meaningful. It is comical and tragic. Gross and sterile. Loving and really hard-assed. Painful and euphoric. A rush and a day that goes on for-God-damned-ever.
These writings are a log of my interesting, sad, hilarious, and meaningful adventures in a small Medical ICU. Nurses have amazing stories that are many times inappropriate for the untrained ear. I feel trapped when I come home because most of my day, experiences that have enriched my life and my patients and families, are not able to be told in their entirety. There is an unspoken wall between our world and that outside of the hospital. People get uncomfortable with death and sick people, and I feel like many of my best stories are left untold.
So without being narcissistic, I will try to relay some events and treat this as a journal, and people who are interested can catch up with me whenever they desire.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you are doing this. I look forward to reading here whenever I can. You know I was very close to choosing nursing, but changed my mind when I realized that my motivation was all wrong. The fascination, though, is still there. I an sincerely in awe of all you nurses...especially ICU.

    I'm no longer blogging, but here's an old post, if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOOOOVE your description of nursing. Can't wait to read more... LOL

    ReplyDelete